Saturday, July 4, 2009

Crossover

When I change careers I usually leave everything behind. The kitchen sink, the bathtub, and sometimes even the dirty laundry. It's never really intentional or premeditated, but I always avoid happy/unhappy returns of the day(s). The one thing that makes this extremely difficult is friends, treasured battle-tested true friends that you really can't leave behind because they'd kill you if they ever thought you thought you could.

But once in a while, some vestige of a left-behind career crosses over. In this particular instance I'm not sure which past career it is (journalism, or advertising, or public relations). My company is in the thick of developing a killer application that's light years (I'm exajjing here) ahead of the competition and the proof of concept is out. But it didn't have a name. And the bosses were looking for a name and asking around and my synapses did a quick rewire and voila... I had a name. And they liked it. And I got P1,000 in Starbucks GCs for condensing a concept with a kilometric description into a four-letter acronym that actually sounded like a real word.

Which should have made me extremely happy because I like Starbucks pastries. Well, I was happy but not extremely because right away I realized that in another industry I'd actually get a mega-bonus for that.

Sigh. I like the geeky world of software already, but I was this close to whipping out my little black book and pestering my agents (may agents talaga? hahaha) to find me freelance work. 'Chos. There are only 24 hours in a day.

----------------------------

A friend asked me to count all instances of "I", "me", "my" and all other instances of the first person in everything I write and for the record, in the post above, there were 18. So?

2 comments:

joelmcvie said...

In advertising you won't get a mega-bonus for an approved name study (heck, they'd even insist you do seven more just to make sure client has options LOL). But they'll remember you as That Name Study Wiz Guy, and will always ask you to think of a brilliant one in the next name studies requirement. =)

Anonimus said...

@DocMike... i approved your comment but it's not showing here I don't know why... but thanks thanks and I'll try to take it easy on the numbers... and maybe make three four na lang... LOL.

@McVie... I remember getting a bonus for naming a a variable interest account for a Middle East Bank, even if they had to translate it to Arabic naman, ewan. Maybe generous lang talaga and mga Arabo. Or baka crush lang ako nung VP ng bank. I haven't had much experience working in the Philippine ad industry so I wouldn't know. Per your account, more work pala ito hindi more money. Pwewde na rin. Pag may work, may money.