Saturday, July 18, 2009

Review: Half-Blood Prince

In one word: Lavender.

Lavender, Lavender, Lavender... what would the movie have been without you? I was the only one roaring with laughter inside iMax at the hospital bedside confrontation scene between Lavender and Hermione. But I couldn't care less.

Oh my Anito! They're borrowing Philippine cinema leitmotifs. We should sue them.

Ron's goofy moment was a fingernail's length away from being a total embarassment. But Harry was right on with his impersonation of Professor Snafalafagus the poison teacher. Second biggest laugh of the night.

Obviously, everyone was trying to heap entertainment value on a very dark and serious chapter. Of course it backfired grandly and will, for sure, ruin the stage it should have set for the Deathly Hallows climax and dénouement. Ouch. Even the death of Aragog was not spared. I had one clasp-hand-over-mouth moment there too!

But Snape's high camp was pure artistry. Snape at his very best. His non-speaking stiff-necked non-moving tour-de-force almost stole the hospital bedside scene from Lavender.

The movie was sooo campy! No gravitas at all. Like they were second-guessing people who would come to watch how gay Dumbledore really was. So they made everyone gay, even the girls and Minerva's costume. There were pure "poguey bait" dialogues between Dumbledore and Harry that, I'm sure, were calculated to incite the excitable Catholic Right to raise hell.

"If Professor Slughorn wants to collect me, shall I let him?" Hala.

If you're my crush and I happen to be outside looking in, I will seriously contemplate making a big haaaaa ha on the plate glass and etching my feelings for you on the fresh saliva mist right there and then, just because Lavender made the whole exercise such pure joy. But I have enough self respect to prevent myself from sending you a box of hexed chocolates.

Oh, well. I'm not qualified to be objective about all this. I'm a fanboy. But if there is one part that didn't live up to the rest of the series... this would be it. I guess they're tired already and are just waiting for Deathly Hallows to be over before everyone can go on leading normal lives and Harry and Draco finally kiss and make out in real life.

No comments: